It was built from 1731–1737 as a dormitory for war invalids (veterans) by Kilián Ignác Dienzenhofer. Only a ninth of the original design was ever completed. At most, about 1200 inmates lived there. In 1935, all inhabitants moved to another building, at Hořice, and the the property was used by the Czech army. After this, it was used as an army archive.
The building was damaged by a large flood in 2002, and most of the archive materials were destroyed. The building currently awaits an expensive reconstruction.
One of the possible future uses is as a part of the Philosophical Faculty of the Charles University of Prague.