These, a branch of which later took the name of Filicaia, they moved to Florence in the late twelfth century and in 1207 sold it to the bishop of Florence most of the territory of their jurisdiction.
In 1375 Firenze decreed the erection of a castle for an essentially strategic use in the land of Pontassieve, which would have the name of Castel Sant'Angelo; in 1399, to increase the importance of the new settlement, it was conceded to a weekly market. Over the years the name of Castel Sant'Angelo took over that of Ponte a Sieve, thanks to the importance of the bridge from time immemorial, fell several times and always rebuilt, it served to pass the ancient road that connected Florence to Mugello, the Casentino and Arezzo. Around the bridge had arisen spontaneously the first houses, which were then developed becoming a village that was situated lower than the castle built by the Florentines. The country did not have great opportunities for development until the end of the eighteenth century, when for a Grand Duchy were opened the new road to the Casentino through the Consuma and, subsequently that to Romagna across San Godenzo: it was then that Pontassieve grew in brief time, and received new impetus in 1859 with the construction of the railway Florence-Rome. During the last war Pontassieve, to the importance of its railway junction, suffered extensive damage, while remaining almost completely destroyed so that the current appearance is due in large part to the post-war reconstruction. Near the village and housed on a hill in a dominant position, there is a tower built in 1300 pioneering in service of the castle, built in 1600 were the bodies side by side and the structure became a small convent inhabited by monks. At present, the property consists of a main building of 500 square meters, an annex of 60 square meters recovered, a swimming pool overlooking the valley of the size of 12x6 square meters, 29,500 square meters of surrounding land. The main structure was built on three levels is as follows: the ground floor entrance hall, kitchen with dining area, living room with access to living room with fireplace through the old door of the tower room with bathroom, services, chants net underground, through a staircase leads to the towerfirst floor consists of large hobby room, and bedrooms with two bathrooms to serviceby the same leads to an additional floor for the bedroom with bathroom, the same you can enjoy a splendid view. When accessing from a side entrance, there is an apartment of 100 square meters, currently occupied by the caretaker, divided into large kitchen, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, closetThe tower is accessed via a local road, private in the last part for about 1 km, is located 9 km from Florence and from the highway, in the vicinity are all the facilities required for the livability