PATU' (Le), Salento, Puglia
Location Campo Re
Place where it happened the last battle between the Romani and the MESSAPI
4600 m² land is adjacent to the town of Castrignano Cape, and to the town of Patu. Located 4 km from Santa Maria di Leuca. Insist two buildings, one of which consists of three large rooms adjacent barrel vaults, and one composed of a sequence of adjacent dwellings (12 in all) used at the time in houses of the peasants who worked the front grove of 10 hectares. The latter also for sale at € 500,000. The large rooms of the houses have a size of mt. 5 x 6, with a maximum height of approximately 6 meters. In the immediate vicinity insists a historic monument in 1400, called Centopietre for its construction consists of 100 monolithic blocks, where the last king was buried Messapico, defeated by the Romans on the site.
The town of Patù is 126 km from the Airport of Salento (Brindisi).
The extreme edge of the Capo di Leuca is PATU', Municipality southeast of Lecce (which is km. 64), on the backs of a tuffaceous slope gently sloping southwest, at mt. 124 above sea level.
For some, the name of the municipality of Patù, comes from the greek pathos (suffering, pain), as they would remember the suffering of the city Vereto (Veretum), whose destruction by the Saracens comes birth of the country; for others from Verduro Pato, guardian of the granaries of the lords of Vereto. The coat of arms depicts a cat who holds in his teeth a fish on a gold field. Despite being small, PATU'is a dense Municipality of history. Among the most important historical sites we cite with the archaeological remains of the Messapian town of Vereto, the monument of Centopietre, which was established as a national monument. It hosts visible remnants of the city of Vereto, as a Messapian staircase, a well for the supply of fresh water and a harbor still visible a few meters deep, located on the tip of the inlet.
Centopietre is an ancient funerary monument declared second-class National Monument in 1873. It dates from the ninth century, was built as a burial tomb of Geminiano knight, messenger of peace slain by the Saracens just before the final battle between Christians and Muslims on 24 June 877. The structure, of rectangular shape, is constructed of 100 blocks of limestone from the city messapica Vereto. Inside it has several overlapping layers of a sacred subject frescoes dating from the fourteenth century.
Vereto messapica is an ancient city located a short distance from the town. Located on the hill, it was an important center for trade, both with Greece and with the Magna Grecia. In this regard, the citizens of Vereto built a port in the bay of San Gregorio, whose remains can be seen on the seabed. It became a Roman municipality and later was razed in the ninth century by the Saracens. Of this center are some monumental works such as the foundations of the wall that surrounded the city, various tombs, etc.
All scholars agree that the site currently occupied by the church of the Madonna Vereto, was the center, the Acropolis, it is the Vereto messapica, that what the Vereto Roman and medieval.