Education in Turkey
Turkey is one of the largest international education hubs. Tens of thousands of international students enter this country's universities each year. The main advantages of studying in Turkey include affordable accommodation prices and tuition fees, along with the
Primary and secondary education
Public schooling is compulsory and free. It starts at the age of six and consists of three levels, four years long each, with a possibility of continuing education at a lyceum, technical or vocational school, or entering an university.
Public schools and nurseries are free for the foreign nationals, but lessons are in Turkish. Tuition fees at private schools (Russian, British, French) are
The education system in Turkey is divided into the following levels:
- preschool (Okul öncesi eğitim) until six years old. It is not compulsory. Public nurseries admit children from three years old, and private nurseries from any age, but cost about about
- elementary school (İlköğretim birinci kademe) from 6 to 10 years old (compulsory and free).
- middle school (İlköğretim ikinci kademe) from 10 to 14 years old (compulsory and free).
- secondary school (Ortaöğretim) from 14 to 18 years old (compulsory and free).
- higher education (Yükseköğretim).
Turkish university studies
|English name||Turkish name|
|Bilkent University (Ankara)||Bilkent Üniversitesi|
|Middle East Technical University (Ankara)||Orta Doğu Teknik Üniversitesi (ODTÜ)|
|Boğaziçi University (Istanbul)||Bogaziçi Üniversitesi|
|Sabanci University (Istanbul)||Sabancı Üniversitesi|
|Koç University (Istanbul)||Koç Üniversitesi|
|Istanbul Technical University (ITU)||İstanbul Teknik Üniversitesi (İTÜ)|
|Hacettepe University (Ankara)||Hacettepe Üniversitesi|
|Ankara University||Ankara Üniversitesi|
|Çukurova University (Adana)||Çukurova Üniversitesi|
|Istanbul University||İstanbul Üniversitesi|
University entrance exams are organised by ÖSYM (Ölçme, Seçme ve Yerleştirme Merkezi), the Student Selection and Placement Centre. International students are accepted based on the results of these tests, which include general knowledge and Turkish language proficiency tests. Universities with English courses accept SAT, TOEFL and IELTS scores.
Tuition fees for international students are about
- completed application (Başvuru formu)
- results of exams and tests (upon request)
- secondary education certificate with academic transcript
self-addressedenvelope (applicant's full name and address)
All the documents must be translated into Turkish (in Turkey) and notarised.